Dr. H. R. Nagendra
Recognized worldwide as a yoga guru, Dr. Hongasandra Rama Rao Nagendra is the Chancellor of S-VYASA University and the guiding force behind the VYASA movement. He was inspired by the teachings of Swami Vivekananda, who expressed great wisdom in modern terminology and urged his followers to combine the best of the West with the best of the East, and has successfully incorporated this philosophy in to his research and career.
The President of India awarded him the prestigious Padma Shri award in the year 2016 in recognition of his service in the field of yoga. His visionary approach is evident not only in research and studies but is also apparent in his relentless work in building a strong foundation towards securing the future of yoga in the coming years. His effort to give yoga its right recognition through integrated and scientific methods has made him a champion among his peers.
After receiving his doctorate in 1968, he served as faculty of IISc in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. He then served as Post-Doctoral Research Fellow in the University of British Columbia, Canada in 1969. After completion of his PhD, Dr H. R. Nagendra moved to NASA Marshall Space Flight Centre, the USA as Post-Doctoral Research Associate in 1970. He moved to the Engineering Science Laboratory, Harvard University, the USA as a Consultant in 1972 and later was a visiting staff at Imperial College of Science and Technology.
He joined Vivekananda Kendra, a service mission as a full time worker in 1975 to pursue human engineering as against mechanical engineering. Between 1975 and 1993, he served as the All India Secretary, Yoga Shiksha Vibhag Vivekananda Kendra, Kanyakumari. Between 1993 and 2000, he was the All India Vice-President of Vivekananda Kendra, Kanyakumari.
From 1986 to 2000, Dr. Nagendra was the Secretary of Vivekananda Kendra Yoga Research Foundation, Bangalore and the Director of Indian Yoga Institute, Prashanthi Kutiram. At Swami Vivekananda Yoga Anusandhana Samsthana, S-VYASA, from 2000 to the present, he has been serving as the President, and from 2002 to 2013, he served as the Vice Chancellor.
He has published 30 Research Papers in Engineering; 135 papers and 28 books on Yoga and has guided nearly 32 PhD students.
His mission to restore the lost heritage and tradition of yoga practices with an evidence based approach led him to lay the foundation for many research projects, studies and establishing various forums, collaborations and associations. His path-breaking contributions are evident in his leadership in the development of a 35 acre campus in to the Head Quarters of S-VYASA, dedicated to yoga research and yoga therapy with integrated approach. His mentorship and guidance has led many educational and other organizations including Ministry of AYUSH, Government of India, to significant advances.
Dr. H. R. Nagendra’s passionate work and service won him several other prestigious awards and felicitations.
- Man of Excellence award by the Badaganadu Sangha Association, Bangalore – 1994
- Yoga Shree award by Padmashri Yogacharya BKS Iyengar, organized by Bangalore Yoga Association - 1995
- Award by the Chief Minister, Govt of Delhi for contributions in the field of Yoga Therapy - 1995
- Recipient of Patanjali Award 1997 for the contributions in the field of Yoga by ISM&H, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India through Director, ISM&H in Bangalore
- Recipient of Bhaskar award for the contributions in the field of Yoga by organizers of Mystic India Exhibition, New Delhi from the hands of Sri Ramananda Sagar – 1997
- Nominated by the American Biographical Association for the Distinguished Leadership award for his service to humanity
- National Citizen’s Award from the hands of Justice P N Bhagavati, Hon’ble Chairman, United Nations Human Rights Commission - 2001
- Recipient of Bharata Ratna Sir M Visvesvaraya Science Award for the contributions in the field of Yoga Education and Yoga Therapy from Svadeshi Vijnana Andholan, Karnataka - 2010
- International Yoga Grand Master Award from Portuguese Yoga Confederation - 2013
- Kannada Rajyothsava Award (for Organization) - 2010
- Bharat Gaurav award in British Parliament - 2015
- Global Peace Award in UNO hall from Sri Swami Madhavananda, World Peace Council, Vienna - 2015
- Light of Yoga award from Hindu Students Council, New Jersey, the USA – 2015
Dr H. R. Nagendra, is the Chairman and Member of various Government and Non-Government Committees and Organizations.
- Chairman of IDY, Task Force
- Member of the Governing Council of Central Institute of Yoga Research, New Delhi
- Member of the Working Group of Experts for Planning Commission under the Ministry of Health (Indian Systems of Medicine)
- Member of the Working Group of Experts for preparation and approval of Syllabus for Courses in Yoga and Naturopathy under the Ministry of Health (Indian Systems of Medicine)
- Member of the Working Group of Experts for preparation and approval of Syllabus for Post Graduate Course in Yoga of Bangalore University
- Member of the Selection Board for selecting candidates to be deputed abroad by the Indian Council of Cultural Relations, New Delhi
- Member of the Selection Board for selecting Deputy Director (Yoga) for CCRYN under the department of ISM&H, Government of India
- Member of the Governing Council and Finance Committee for National Institute of Naturopathy, Pune, Maharashtra
- Member of the Board of Studies for the subject of Science of Living, Jain Vishva Bharati Institute, Ladanu, Rajasthan
- Member of the Board of Studies in Yoga in Maharshi Dayananda Saraswathi University, Ajmir and also for Bangalore and Mangalore Universities
- Member of the Expert Committee of Ayurveda in NIMHANS University
- Chairman of a Documentation Committee set up by CCRYN, Ministry of Health & Food, Government of India
- Consultation Yoga, Swinbun University, School of Integrative Medicine, Melbourne
- Member, Governing Council of Institute of Speech and Hearing, Mysore
- Vice- President, Indian Yoga Association
- Working President, Vishwa Mangala Gou Grama Yathra